Skills in CF

>Mark Wedel <master@rahul.net> writes:

> stealing code was the start of adding various skills to crossfire.

> I don't think the code is enabled in any ways, or at least using it not.
>I think you can use it if the player or creature has the skill_stealing
>archetype as their inventory.

> The idea was that a variety of skills would be implemented as objects
>inside of other objects (similar to the dragons ability to breath fire).

	Hmm. This got me thinking. If this can be made to work, then
	why not a host of other skills? The advantages would be many
	fold - but 3 come to mind right away. 1) some skills could be
	made to mimic spells (see below) 2) the skills could be
	used to gain access to some areas of the map via the check_inv
	trigger and 3) non-magicians would gain a bit more flexability that
	only the magicians currently have.

	Here's some possibilities I thought up (which seem fairly easy
	to code in):

	Skill		Description
	-----		-----------

	stealing	(already in place?)
	picklock	removes type 'door' just like key
	stealth		gives stealth ability for period of time
			(like artifact stealth flag)
	throwing	Very easy. Player can throw rocks
			like the giants.

	Find Traps	Detect 'spell' for traps.
			Works better than just 'search', because
			operates on the room.

	--- Various selective Identifying skills ---

	Cooking/	Idents Food/drink Items. May need
	Woodcraft	some new archs w/o identified 1.
			(like mushrooms, etc)

	Blacksmith	Idents arms/armour

	Jeweler		Idents gems

	Literacy	Idents scrolls/spellbooks

	Thamaugragist	Idents wands/rods/amulets

	Alchemist/	Idents potions

	Musician	Idents horns (perhaps make other
			musical instruments too?)

	Other skills?? Just need to sit down and think about it!!!

	Players may start out with some skills (as appropriate) and
	also may gain them later in the game. One way is with skill_scrolls
	(new type), which when read become the skill. There may be
	other ways. Also, because the skills are just carried objects -
	appropriate monster attacks (ie drain or depletion) could take
	them away too (hee hee :).

	It would seem to me that there should be a new type for the
	skill --- this way it won't pop up in the players inventory
	like a carried item. Perhaps a new command to show the player
	skills could be added in.

					b.t.
					thomas@nomad.astro.psu.edu