Re: Xpm error in crossedit

>> window saying things like "object x has no speed", but I can't be any more
>> specific than that at the moment.
>
>This is only a debugging message that is supposed to be printed if
>there is an object on 'living items' list and it has no speed. But
>there are sometimes objects like this and these have just stopped, but
>not yet removed from a list. (Or something like that, I haven't looked
>the actual code).

Ok, but if this is not a real problem (?), then why does it show these
messages?  I did not specifically enable any debugging features during
compile time.  Although, come to think of it, I haven't played with 0.91.7
enough to recall for sure if it also displays these messages, so this may
now be a moot point.  Also, I find the "exit map" messages when moving from
one world map to another to be distracting.  It seems to me that they
should only be displayed if debugging is specifically enabled.  Does anyone
else agree?

>> Also, when running 0.91.5, the game would sometimes crash.
>
>Can't help with that, but make sure that you have enough space in
>/tmp during the play, so that temp maps can be saved there. It
>should not crash, but all items just vanish when you change the map.
>Corrupted (and too old/new) maps can also cause crash, but usually
>it should at least print something.

Well, I am using the 0.91.7 maps, so I don't think that's the problem.
I have an 8 MB swap file setup on my system (on its own partition so it
won't be affected by user files).  With the 8 MB of RAM I think I should
have enough as (I think) the system with X and crossfire running requires
about 10-12 MB, leaving me (hopefully) with a little margin).  But I am
admittedly running with an almost full fs (~3 MB free, I think), so perhaps
the game is trying to write more to /tmp than is available.  I will check
this.  Sometimes I mysteriously get a few MB of files just showing up in
/tmp.

>then mysterious crashes might happen. Crossfire uses quite a lot memory
>when used with XPM's. Also have you tried with normal bitmaps? If these
>work this would indicated that you don't have enough virtual memory.

Well, the game is "less interesting" (or at least less appealing) running
without the pixmaps, so I always run crossfire with -xpm (and with no
graphics problems).  I can run crossedit just fine with the font graphics.
The "XCreateCursor" crash only occurs when I run with -xpm.  (And even then
only when I try to select on object on the map.)  I can load crossedit
with xpm and scroll through the archetype list with no problems.  It looks
to me like the error is originating in the Xpm library routines (or maybe
a bad call to one of them).

It looks like I may have to try to debug this problem myself (*gulp*).
Does anyone have any suggestions?  (I have little experience debugging
Un*x programs, especially X apps.)  Thanks to everyone who responed!

Oh, also, is anyone running crossfire on a Linux box with the sound
effects?  I am curious about trying to run them, but am not sure if
there is an rplay port for Linux.

-Michael