Re: Compiling errors.

On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, Mattias Goeransson wrote:

> Hello again... Sorry for asking those stupid questions..
> Wonder if the Norwegians is smarter than us Swedes, or
> do they just 'make' stupid programs?? ;)

hmm .. well I don't say anything :)

> Well, I get some errors while make'ing the new version.
> What is depend anyway???

depend is creating depencies between files. You need it on development
process in cases you have service.c that uses structures on service.h,
when you change structure definitions the service.c have to be recompiled
or program crashed on misaligned structures. But this is needed only
on development on installation you can just forget it. ie it goes

  xmkfm
  make Makefiles
  make
  make install
  make install.man

(and forget make World, it's derived from X11 creation and
 aimed indeed bigger source than crossfire is)

> Ok, then I start the make..
> gcc -ansi -Wall  -DSYSV -DSVR4 -xF -Wa,-cg92 -I../include
> -I/usr/openwin/include  -DSVR4 -DSYSV -DLONGJUMP       -DERIC_SERVER=0
> -DFONTDIR=\"/home/anarki/crossfire/fonts\" -DFONTNAME=\"crossfire\"
> -DLIBDIR=\"/home/anarki/crossfire/lib\"  -c  arch.c
> gcc: language F not recognized

your X11 is configured to use sunpro C compiler with performance
analysis (that's the -xF flag), that is not the case with gcc.

> In file included from /usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:13,
> /usr/local/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.3/2.5.8/include/sys/param.h:
> 12: machine/param.h: No such file or directory

seems that gcc on your site is corrupted (complain to your sys.ad
or someone who has installed gcc). I guess it's better use
sunpro compiler setting the compiler to "cc" (and check by
'which cc' that you don't get '/usr/ucb/cc' for cc, that does
not work).

<A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">Petri.Heinila@lut.fi</A>