Re: CF: Suggestion and comments

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996 09:43:36 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>TEXT WINDOW SUGGESTION
Hmm...this seems to be a setting in crossfire now...this can be done
with the 'scroll command

>POPULARITY/ACCESSIBILITY OF CROSSFIRE
>
>Also, it surprises me that Crossfire isn't even more popular.  People
>have been begging for graphical multiplayer games and MU* for ages,
>and of course the demand for WebMUD's and JavaMUD's have been hyped in
>recent years.
Hmmm...as far as this goes here are my thoughts:
1) Not everybody has X.  I had to get it special to play crossfire:)
2) Because the client must run on the same machine as the server, it
   is a *real* resource hog...and concordantly lowers the number of
   potential players.
3) Compiling per/se is not that big a deal, plenty of ppl do it
   already to make muds (i'd probably add a perl ./configure script
   to make it super easy:)

So what I want to know, is how do the client and server talk to each
other, or does the server draw everything on my screen?  I'd like to
know, b/c I can proabaly write an interface in Vis C++ (ok so I'm an
evil windows user, sue me:)

I don't really know that much about X, or about how this has been
implemented (haven't delved into the code yet)..but I do want to learn
that:)

Any thoughts?

bill

Bill Farrar, C++Windows Programmer.
The Linking and Binding is the Important step...
"60 Million Gigabits can do alot.  It can even do Windows"
Fred Pohl, _Beyond_The_Blue_Event_Horizon_