CF: blindness and artifacts

I'm running Crossfire v. 0.92.2.

I have noticed a few major problems with the spell 'sunspear' and blindness
more generally:
At the moment, sunspear is a relatively cheap spell, and it blinds just
about anything, in addition to doing damage that affects all creatures
in the game (I have yet to meet a creature not damaged by it, anyway). This
poses a rather nasty problem, because it lets mid-level characters crush
high-level monsters with ease. With a single shot of sunspear, almost any
creature gets blinded and stands still, not attacking unless you move too
close. I have found it simple to thus kill wizards, titans, Jessy, dragons,
dreads, etc. using only sunspear, and without taking any damage myself.

I tried to correct this by setting (in this case) Jessy's immunity flag to
add an immunity to blindness. He was still blinded when I shot him with
sunspear (as an additional note, it is simple to dimension door across the
9th level of hell, onto the key, and thus bypass Jessy completely. I think
that getting the key should involve a bit more skill than just hitting
shift-1).

Anyway, I think there is something worng with the blindness code - either
the duration of blindness should be proportional to the difference in
levels between the monster and the player, or monster blindness saving throws
should be made more often.

As an additional aside, has anyone else tried the 'unique artifact' code?
I still see multiples of the same artifacts lying around.

-jon