CF: problems

I'm having trouble gettign crossfire to work on my computer.

I recently installed Linux and attempted to compile crossfire.  After many
botched attempts, it now compiles and runs, and I can play normally.

I cannot, however, save.

I get the following message:

Can't open file for save.
SAVE FAILED!

I'mnot sure what's causing this.  I have the permissions on the /lib/players
direcotry set to writable/readable by everyone.  I've even tried to
recompile with the option that characters are saved in the player's home
directory.  Nothing seems to fix the problem.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?  I'm gettign tired of recompiling
this game.

-Kevin (isildur@abulafia.st.hmc.edu)