Re: CF: combat proposal (long)

So, you're looking to spice up combat, are you?  To be honest, I didn't
read the proposal carefully, because I believe that in a case like this,
it's better to see whether it works in practice rather than what it looks
like on (virtual) paper.  I'm all for seeing it tried, as long as you're
willing to scrap it if it turns out to be too cumbersome.

As for spicing up combat, I have a suggestion that doesn't involve actually
changing combat mechanics.  I suggest that instead of using strings telling
you that you grazed, hit, or killed the enemy, use more dramatic strings like
"you bloodied the orc", "you pound the zombie into a pulp", etc.
Have the game select a random string out of a database, based on the amount
of damage inflicted, the weapon/attack type, and type of monster.  The
same applies to witty sound bytes.
I've seen this kind of strategy used before (in games like "Wasteland") and
I think it does make combat more interesting.

Either way, happy CFing.
                    -Ivan