Re: CF: extended map format?

Preston F. Crow wrote:
> Just a random thought:  would it be helpful if you could define characteristics
> of a map that applied to everyone who was there?  I'm thinking that you could
> include anything that an item might have, from a temple with (Wis +2) to a
> horrible curse.  If this were done in a good general manner, then you could
> add or block skills on that map (I can't see why you would add skills for a
> map, except possibly in a training map, but you never know).

I think it would be a good way to add flavour to maps. You could deny
access to certain spell paths. No PATH_FIRE in the Land of Frost. No PATH_HEAL
would be very nasty.

I also once considered having items that only last until you pass through
an exit. That way you can give players powerful toys to help them through
the map without worrying about them keeping them afterwards. Thus you
can have a monster near the start that protects an amulet of fire immunity,
say. If you defeat the monster the rest of the map is easier, but you
don't get to keep immunity to fire after you have finished the map.

> Along the same lines, there aren't any cursed items that block the use of
> specific skills.  Perhaps this should be added?

Are there cursed items that deny spell paths ? They could be nasty 8-)
How many people actually get stuck with cursed items though ? I usually
only do with low level characters when I don't have detect curse and
I'm prepared to take the risk of trying unchecked equipment.

--
Rupert G. Goldie, Software Engineer                epartg@epa.ericsson.se
Advanced Service Applications Centre, Ericsson Australia