CF: CF Blues (check_inv)

I know teleporters don't work when something lies on them. I sure do.

Today, I put a check_inv in a map. Done that before, expected no
trouble...

Only it didn't work. It didn't work though it was exactly the same
object as another check_inv that worked. Now what? Connected...ok,
slaying...ok, walk_on...set, on the top (cf teleporters)...yes...
...only it didn't work.

After hours of slowly banging my head against my desk I found out: I
had nothing *ON* the check_inv but I had two altars and two magic
mouths *below*. Obviously a big no no. I moved the check_inv to an
empty square and... well, everything ok again (despite for the fact
that the only useful square for the check doesn't work).

But why is this? Why the trouble (with the applicable objects?)? Why
can't teleporters et al work wherever they are?
--
Flo