Re: CF: Advise on map editor.

On May 26,  9:34am, Ivan Tkatchev wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Advise on map editor.
>
> I don't know how you could add pixmaps to "crossfire.pix.?" without
> making an xpm file parser. (It would be nice if crossfire could
> use the "esrv_xpm.eric" file, since that one is so much easier
> to handle.)

 Actually, originally the xpm stuff did use a file similar to what the
bitmap uses (ie, all xpm's just concatanated into one file.  Note that
the file was still dependent on ordering of images, so a rebuild was still
necessary.)

 The main reason for converting to a montage format is creating speed.
Creating 2500 individual xpm files takes quite a while.  It is much faster
to create a few large xpm files, and copy the data from them, and then
free them.

 Doing a quick guess, the main gains are probably needing to look up/allocate
the colors once for xpm file.  for the montage images, it means that you
can do this for all 500 images at once instead of one at a time.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com