Re: CF: alchemical formula question

Peter,
Well from a cooking and chemistry point of view, doubling a recipe that
is cooked does cause changes.  For instance, doubling a cookie recipe means
twice as many batches of cookies and doubles the total cooking time.  For
chemical formulae, doubling or more can create issues of evenly heating
or cooling the mixture.  I remember some chem experiment dealing with
crystalization that was very hard to get right if you had more than 50 ml
of solution.

Also, I recall that if you double the recipe for anything that uses yeast
and rises then you do not double the amount of salt.

I am also unclear why doubling or otherwise multiplying alchemy is
needed or even desirable.  It strikes me just as a way to save mana when
doing alchemy and I think if a player is going to be doing lots of alchemy
then they should be advanced enough to have the needed mana.  Also, as each
alchemy runs the risk of blowing up the calderon, allowing doubling
effectively reduces the cost since more spells between ruined calderon.

I would be in favor of modified formulas (or a formula for doubling such
as doubling requires adding 2 four leaf clovers while tripling requires
adding 3 diamonds (aren't diamonds an interlaced tetrahedron structure
which is a triangularish structure?)).

							sdw