Re: CF: backup save at home?

>Backup save at home is a good feature, but it allows for cheating. What if
>the player would be moved to "home" if the map has reset, otherwise he
>would be put where he was?

That could work as an immediate life-saver if you get into
trouble--just destroy the window (breaking the connection), and you
have an instant word of recall.  Of course, you have to wait two
hours, but still...  On the other hand, the present system allows a
player to save himself anywhere by the same means (e.g., on the map
next to the treasure room).  This can be just as effective of a means
of cheating.

On balance, though, I think that that is a good idea.  Let the map
reset if it would naturally, but don't let the player resume play
after an emergency save on a unset map.  (There is a subtle bug with
that algorithm involving other players using the same map after it has
reset, you it might be better to have the map reset code check all
emergency-save character files, and adjust the location of the player
if necessary, then unsetting the emergency-save flag in the character
file (or leaving a flag set on the map).  You would also have to
modify the startup code to return any emergency-saved characters home
in case there was a crash.)

>You should be able to change your "home", so when you die you go to your
>apartment etc. This prevents some player killing in the city etc.
>There should be a special floor where you would be able to use command
>"set_home" or similar.

This has been mentioned before.  Perhaps it could be implemented by
sacrificing something on an altar.  Personally, I would prefer an
altar with a different icon for that purpose, but that's just an
asthetic issue.  I think the implementation idea that was suggested
was to have a hidden inventory item that determines the home location.
My impression is that the main reason we don't have this now is that
nobody has made it a priority and implemented it.  As long as it's
restricted to sane locations (e.g., locations of beds to reality), it
shouldn't be a problem.

--PC