Re: CF: Server watchdog

Mark Wedel (mark@siemens-pyramid.com) wrote:

>  The idea of a watchdog isn't bad.  However, it may be less coding to just try
> and connect to the server port (13327) with some reasonably low timeout.

Well, I tried the 13326 :-) Anyway, back when it did hang, it did not
refuse the connection --- it accepted the connection, but never
came to the "Welcome" message. In fact my first watchdog was an external
program that would just log in as a socket and do a "version" every
now and then, but that seemed too complicated, so I decided to do it
the other way --- instead of using an external program that's trying to
cause the server to do something, just let the server do something
regulary,. so the external program only needs to check whether the
server is really doing that :-) I don't think it makes much difference,
and letting the server do something automatically also saves a socket
(I already have a program-"player" on my server, and I don't really like
the idea to get more and more program-"player"s and -sockets in the
'who output :-)

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber