Re: CF: Re: AC and armour

Anthony Thyssen (anthony@cit.gu.edu.au) wrote:

> Ok lets clear up one confusion I have.  What is the difference between
> AC and armour?

In simple words: AC is a number that tells how likely it is that an
enemy hits you. Armor is a number that tells how much damage a
successful hit does.
The lower the AC, the better (that's why it is usually negative).
Armor is a percentage --- armor 99 means that 99 percent of the
damage is absorbed by your armor (i.e. the hit only does 1% of the
damage).

> Another confusion I have is that of speed and weight.  Even with a ring
> of speed +2 my speed is terriable!

Might be your dexterity and armor. Some armor has a enormous speed
penalty (like plate mail). Just to give you some ideas: I usually have
speed +23 (Idaten boots (speed +20) and Dragonbane (speed +3)), which
gives me a running speed of just 2.27 (interesting enough, you get the
same speed with mithril chainmail of winter and speed boots). If I
take off my body armor (White Dragon Scale Mail) my running speed gets
up to 5.73. Without the dragonbase, the values are 2.07 and 5.43.
That's probably the fastest you can get with optimal equipment (and no
cheating, of course).

As a newbie you should probably be happy about a speed of 1.0-1.5. Try
to get speed boots.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber