Re: CF: Map-editor mockup

On 3 Dec 1998, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

> [peter@toneby.ml.org]
>
> >   It will be a bit more like the old, but with quite a few new
> >   features and enhancements. Most natably: i customizable palettes,
> >   like those brush-palettes found in paint-programs.
>
> I'd like to point out that this is available in Crossedit as well.
> You just draw a map and choose pick mode.  The only hassle is that you
> need to load it before using it.
>
> My biggest wish for the new editor is a fill mode and a "brush" where
> you can fill in several squares with one click.  Take a look at the
> Railroad Tycoon II editor (it's available in the demo).  That has an
> "airbrush" as well, so that you can spray the countryside with random
> types of grass or trees.

Another idea/wish I had was to allow for 'layer' editing. That way you
could have a 'sub' layer, with things like texts, invisible buttons, and
similar things, a 'ground' layer, a 'wall' layer, etc (and they would not
have to be fixed, you could add layers at will, altho it might be good
with a nice template). It would be possible to switch on and off the
visibility of the various layers, and edit them separately, as well as
have options like allowing multiple objects on top of eachother or not on
a per layer basis.

However, such a modification would have to add to the map format.

/David