Re: CF: the map-editor

On Dec 4,  4:10pm, Simon Hosie wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: the map-editor
> Ian Main:
> > I only have one Q - are there any popular public servers ?  I'd like to
play
> > with someone else but all I try are either empty or not running.
>
> Is this one of those situations where there's a constant succession of
> people that take a quick look, see nobody else, and leave?  I haven't tried
> other servers, myself, how would it go on a 33k6?

 It could be - if no one is on a remote server, might as well play on a local
server.  So it is certainly a case where having people on the server is likely
to make more people use it, etc.

 As for minimum speed - not sure.  The big killer right now is downloading the
images - at 33K, you definately want to use the -cache option.  You can use
xpm, but things will be quite slow until your cache is built up.

 For general play, 33k is probably OK.  One important thing is the ping times -
how long does it take packets to make a roundtrip to the server and back?  That
is the delay you are playing with - each tick in teh game is about 120 ms - so
if your round trip time is 400 ms, you are basically 3 ticks behind the action.

 Also, you could run into problems at 33k when you run into a lot of action -
fireballs going off, or  other spells/lots of movement.  This tends to be the
time when you need fast response the most, so could be especially bad.
 Fortunately, you don't run into many of those at low level.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com