Re: CF: FBBB v1.01 is now up

> Well, I agree and I don't. The crux of the problem is that there are
> different types of people, with different needs. My Nethack experience
> in point: I've noticed that there were people who wanted to discover
> every single quirk and idiosyncrasy of the game on their own, and
> there were those, like me, who either got bored too fast or just could
> not afford the time necessary to discover all these things on our own.

The standard newbie info describes how the player interacts with the
game in order to physically play the game.  It also includes info on
the structure of the game (ie the game's rules) and the minimal knowledge
base which would be know by all characters (ie location of major cities,
info on religons, weapons, armor and so on).  Thus, newbie info adds to
the play value since it is a tutorial on playing the game.

The info for those without the patience to explore every dungeon or
ever learn things the hard way is known as cheats.  Cheats add to
some people's play value since otherwise they'd quit (even a game as
open ended as CF which doesn't require completing any particular
dungeon).  Cheats greatly decrease play values for others since it
removes the more difficult challenges from the game.

Cheats should be kept far away from newbie info since the game can
essentially be ruined for a newbie whom accidently reads a cheat page.
A cheat page should also take care to break itself into categories and
individual dungeons so that a player in need of help can limit the
spoiler to just the problem at hand and not give info on the whole
game.

							sdw