Re: CF: Re:Banning players

On Dec 9,  5:27pm, Robert Brockway wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Re:Banning players
> On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Mark Wedel wrote:
>
> Why redo what is already around.  Just use tcp wrappers (man tcpd).  Tcp
> wrappers is usally fired up via inetd, but I can't see why it couldn't be
> run as a standalone server to control access to crossfire.
> Cheers,
> 	-Robert

 I didn't think tcp wrappers would handle a case where there was only
one daemon program yet possible multiple connections.  In
fact, the man page supports that - one to one mapping onto
executable files.

 Since crossfire is a persistent program, you either need crossfire to
handle it, or write some program that intercepts it if it allowed, just
acts as a proxy (gets traffic in, sends it to crossfire).  But this
then creates as many proxy programs running as people connected to the
server.

 It really comes down to what is needed.  For anything in crossfire,
 you can make some extremely sophisticated and nice way of doing it.
But if a simpler method does the job, lets use that - if people have that
much time to be spending on crossfire, I can think of many more
important things to fix up than an ultra sophisticated way of banning
certain sites.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com