Re: CF: Disconnects and Saves

Anthony Thyssen (anthony@cit.gu.edu.au) wrote:

> Next time the player logs in he just restores to his/her last `bed to
> reality' save, with the equipment he had at that time. The `save'
> command also should not be posible.

Great cheat. If you implement it, be sure to make it optional.

> server kill, but the servers should, by this time, be robust enough
> not to die anymore. And if they do, get fixed Really fast!

Nice wish. Some of the server bugs have been around for ages.

> and equipment found so far. Then if they do purposely `disconnect' they
> again have to walk all they way back again. Very monotonous, if you ask
> me, especially deep in a quest dungeon.

Better bored than dead.

Maybe somebody could explain what the problem with disconnects is?
Except for beinhg able to disconnect in a treasure room and reconnect
after the map has reset, there is no real problem with the way things
currently work. And the treasure-room problem is just minor --- all
the player can do is getting the same treasure over and over
again. Very interesting, and you certainly don't get any reasonable
exp out of that (note that we almost never did that --- not because we
don't want to, but because it's useless. We did this once on a
non-local server to get the <spoiler> armor from pupland in reasonable
time --- save the character in the map, crash the server, check for
the item, crash the server, check for the item etc.).  This would
still work with your suggestion --- go to the map, check for the item,
disconnect, send in another character, crash the server.  Repeat until
done.

It seems to make more sense to work on the playability and stability of
the game, instead of making things worse for players for no good reason.

Just my $0.02, of course.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber