Re: CF: Scorn Improvment Wish List

"Scott D. Yelich" on  wrote...
| > | The ports are very confusing.
| > |
| > Please explain.
|
| Well, the game doesn't seem to have any progression.
|
| I'm now a level 5 char and I can't find anything to fight that
| (1) isn't so easy I can kill them without getting hurt (ie:
| the kobolds, orcs, etc., while at the same time I'm not
| getting enough experience to go up a level (ie: compare the
| experience for killing 100 orcs to a single beholder...
| I think that's what those little eyes are called), or
| (2) isn't so difficult that I can't even take out one
| without having to run for help.  ie: pirates, vikings,
| skeletons... *any* undead.

I quite agree. Unless you start as a fireborn with that really good
magic storing crystal, you don't really have enough magic power or
weapon/armour to raise above 5-7.  Unless you know exactly where to
go to get the good stuff, or know some good ``experience gaining
maps'' (prisions etc) you can't really rise above 5 to 7 easilly.

At the moment I am using an "alchemy" spell to convert all the non-special
junk, grave stones, tables, chairs etc etce etc to gold to get as much
money to get more spells, information (too expensive compared to spells)
and most importantly  attribute raising potions.

The Skill scrolls are very very rare, as is a holy symbol so I can then
use the "holy word" spell I already know but can cast on an alter.

Real problems.

| I have like 21 spell points.  That's just over 3 burning hands,
| which clears orc and hurts green guys and doesn't seem to
| phase anything else (ie: ogres).

Burning hands just seem to destory good more than damage those monsters.

| The game just seems to get bogged down around level 5
| where you can't seem to get ahead.  Maybe because I always
| play alone and it just gets boring.

Same here!

| So, docks.... you see, I didn't even know you could get out
| of the starting town for quite some time.  I think I eventually
| read a spoiler that told me that not only was it possible, but,
| gee, the password was "sesame" or "zephyr wind" or something.
| Now I still don't know the password, nor do I even know where
| I'm supposed to be looking to find it!  I found the way to the
| gate via the well by the prison -- and now I use this exclusively.
| Bad thing is, now that the maps reset, I have to keep clearing
| the way out.

I know the way. Not an easy route which is why I plan a simular opening
to the docks from the under city, either via another well, or via the
pirate caverns.

As for the password to the gate,

[spoiler warning...]

The Password is written on the wall in The Tavarn -- which will move
out of the docks area. It is a bit vague, so I plan to put goths taven
near the gate to make it more obvious.

| so, docks continued... I don't know if the board is there always
| or if I took a boat BACK to the main town, but the boat that's
| black takes me to another town, I just move to the black boat
| above the one at the arrival town and take that boat.  That
| takes me to santo dominion (which I remember as the only place
| I use to play many years ago -- so it reminds me of home :-) ).
| Well, in santo dominion, I just leave through the right/east gate,
| then leave again... and now I'm "outside" the main starting town!
| So, go a little right, go a ways down, and then go left, and now
| I'm outside the main town.  No quest.  No password.

santo dominion I rather like. but is is difficult to get to.
without using the gate!

| That's why docks are confusing.  Dragon transport hasn't seemed
| to ever work.  I just use that area to drop crap on the map
| (but now since the maps seem to get reset rather then to
| continue to use the /tmp/ files, I lose what I drop.

Only one area ``pupland' seems to have dragon transport.

Maybe a ``Guide to Shiping'' is needed, available from some sailor!

| Where are the apartments?

Above the Beginners building just North west of the starting square.
Maybe you should update you maps. You can do that without
destroying your character.

| ps: maybe these are more newbie questions -- but I am confused.
| Are there quests for level 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 chars?

I found ``Goblin Island'' from port jospeh to be quite good.
It has been suggesting many times to incorperate the buildings from port
jospeh in scorn, and make my ``hidden boat'' lead to goblin island.

------
Question to the mailing list....

 1/ Should Port Jospeh maps that are moved into the scorn map directory
    (leaving golbin island seperate) or just link directly to those maps?

    EG: you are in scorn but the map says you are in port jospeh!!!

    Comments.

 2/ Maybe the Dragon Transport has had its day and is nolonger
    ``useful''?  The hangers are empty and only one dragon `works'.

    If so the large area being used for it could be reduced (one dragon
    and hanger) and more `dock' space created.  If any wants to
    attach a dragon transport map they can always do so via the
    pupland dragon transport cross roads, where that first dragon leads!

    Comments.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
  "Better shut 'er down, Slim. She's pumpin' mud."  - memorable error message!
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au