Re: CF: Scorn Improvment Wish List

"Scott D. Yelich" on  wrote...
| > At the moment I am using an "alchemy" spell to convert all the non-special
| > junk, grave stones, tables, chairs etc etce etc to gold to get as much
| > money to get more spells, information (too expensive compared to spells)
| > and most importantly  attribute raising potions.
|
| uh.... I have yet to ever do/cast alchemy!  I still consider myself a
| beginner after 5 years!

[Beginneers Guide Tip -- Beyond Basics]
Alchemy  only a 3rd level spell and so usefull. All that junk lying about
You may not get 1 to 1 value (which is why you extract the unusal
things first) but at least you can easilly carry it.

Having a madman generator nearby is also good, they throw all this
wonderful stuff you can grab, run away, and sort though and turn to gold!

| > I know the way. Not an easy route which is why I plan a simular opening
| > to the docks from the under city, either via another well, or via the
| > pirate caverns.
|
| What I'm saying is:  I can now get out of the town in a matter of
| *seconds* and I never knew I had to find the passphrase
| [I only learned about that from a spoiler many years ago and I had
| yet to learn where it was, I found it easier to find another way out.].

I found it ok.

| > santo dominion I rather like. but is is difficult to get to.
| > without using the gate!
|
| is it? can't you just go to the port (in scorn?), use the only black
| boat, after travelling, go up like 3 spaces and use that boat.
| *bingo* you're at santo.  I just tested this to make sure I'm
| really being more of an idiot than normal.

Easy if you know how. boats can be a maze of teleports :-)
I knew their was one but could remember the route.

| I know it sound silly.. but I'd like to see the ships move...
| that is, when the ship between santo and scorn is at santo,
| it's *not* at scorn(!!!) until someone takes it.  Temp maps
| are used if present (I'm not sure about this [new] resetting,
| but it seems to me that with the small # of transports, they
| could easily be registered and checked to make sure there was
| always a sane state.  Hell, if you really want to impress me,
| do it right and make them go between different ports (
| and slots? in those ports)...

That is a big of programming for a object which could be in one place
or another. Actualy m,oving is harder still as a `map route' needs to be
layed out.   I agree it would add a lot to the game but would require
a lot of programming.

EG; you are in the outside world on the shore and you see a boat
moving past the shore line between scorn and santo domino.

Or a dragon flys over head as it heads across the mainland to an island
off the north east coast.

Such movements could also mean yu could have guards pacing back and
forth on the same map. too.

| I guess more dynamic maps would be exciting... but since I don't
| have a clue how crossfire has been coded -- I may be asking
| for the near impossible.

Probably.

Hmm if you can add a special direction spells (exit map to another
map (on top on another direction wall), pause 1 minute, etc)
you could hide them under the water and have then effect a specific object.
ships could then travel from place to place in an endless loop.

All that is needed then is for players to be able to some how board the
ship or dragons.  Dragons could fly up to a sky map with directors
hidden under clouds (fog) over a fake world map. ;-)

| >  2/ Maybe the Dragon Transport has had its day and is nolonger
| >     ``useful''?  The hangers are empty and only one dragon `works'.
| >
| >     If so the large area being used for it could be reduced (one dragon
| >     and hanger) and more `dock' space created.  If any wants to
| >     attach a dragon transport map they can always do so via the
| >     pupland dragon transport cross roads, where that first dragon leads!
|
| Personally?  I'd like to see a cage that keeps newbies in so that
| they have to complete a "quest" that will give them to level 4-6....
| They won't get to scorn until they complete it!  The quest should be
| near the same as the newbie house right near the start at scorn --
| but should (somehow) allow for multiple use. or, maybe not.... just
| a thought. :-)

This is what Goths Tavern is all about, it ius just hidden away in the
port area. Soon to move near the gate house.

| The key bindings are neat -- but I'm going to test the limits of
| them while trying to program in macros to get between two cities.

Lucky you can now edit then in the client ;-)

I don't like however how the `install procedure' for the client
installs ALL the global bindings as ``user key bindings''.

EG; unbind then lists all the bindings not just your changes from the
client "keys" file.

that install items should be deleted!

>From README file in client....
=======8<--------
4) cat def_keys >> ~/.crossfire/keys

That is NOT required or needed!!!!
and means you can't list just your binding in the game!
you can still list all the bindings with  unbind -g anyway!

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
     "A man without an address is a vagabond"   -- George Bernard Shaw
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au