CF: Races + Classes

	Is there any interest in switching to a 'race'/'class' system
instead of the current system where class is part of the race? I was
thinking something along these lines:

1. Remove the 'classes', like warrior, viking, mage, and such. Have only
races listed, like human, elf, quetzlcoatl, wraith, dwarf, whatever. Give
these characters basic skills.

2. Have players actually pay money to join a 'guild' that will teach them
various things. Warriors might have a guild that trains strength, while
mages will have guilds that give them mana and spells. A player does not
*have* to join a guild, he could always be a 'generic' adventurer. If we
had a guild system that was well written, I would assume the coding of
races and such would be made somewhat easier.

3. Maybe even have backgrounds, where a character might start with a
little extra gold and charisma but a low con due to pampered raising, or
an extra str with no gold and minimum equipment because he was a slave.
Background should even play a part in guilds. Would an aristocratic
fencing guild featuring fancy sword techniques accept a pauper?

	What I'm getting at is that it would make a larger variety of
players, which would really be nice for servers with many players. I'd
also like to see a dynamic skill/guild/race system that allowed a wide
range of learnable skills, instead of the stock variety already presented.

	As of yet, I am not proposing the method of implementation, as I
have not delved into the codebase seriously. I have been following
development for some time, and this could add some special
characteristics. Should all mages of the same level be more or less equal?
Or should we have wealthy mages with better spellcasting, and weaker mages
physically stronger. Why shouldnt the player be able to recreate his own
Raistlin(Archwizard with shattered body), or Conan(Hulking, ...dumb...,
Cimmerian).

	I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks for taking the
time to read this.

	-- Marc Santoro