Re: CF: Newbie hints

Anthony Thyssen (anthony@cit.gu.edu.au) wrote:
> | Isn't that obvious? There are talismans (or is that talismen? :-)) and
> | holy symbols with additional plusses -- like the "Totem of the fire god",

> | If you learn the skill you have apply the thing yourself --- which means
> | additional work.
> |
> No it wasn't obvious. I didn't know about these `special' talisman's and
> holy symbols.  I just hate having to add ``apply -a talisman'' to
> all my spell key bindings.

You don't have to do that if you don't have the skill --- the appropiate
"skill object" is applied automatically. It's actually the first such items
in your inventory that is applied automatically.

> | Hm... "invoke <spell>" casts a spell in the direction you are facing.
> | "use_skill pr" applies the praying skill, which restores 1 point of grace.
> | "stay fire" applies the currently selected skill again, which is praying
> | in this particular case (less typing than "use_skill pr").
> |
> Again I know now but this should be in the beginners list.

I'm not doing thsat list :-)

> Also I thought when I read it that the stay fire was basically to
> cast holy word again not to pray again.  See Unless you know exactly
> what is happening your binding is very mystical to a beginner.

"Stay fire" is usually bound to the "." key. So if you have a skill
selected it will use that skill, if you have a spell selected it will
cast that spell onto you, if you have a wand/rod/horn selected it will
cast that onto you.

> | so all the grace is restored --- then you can just press down the key,
> | lean back, and watch the zombies die (and your levels go up --- slowly,
> | and it really only makes sense until level 6).
> |
> Ok! good one.

The reasons why you only want to this until you are level 6 are:
- advancing slows down rapidly as levels go up (so the time/exp ratio gets
  much too bad)
- "cast holy servant" is a level 6 prayer, and you can get more exp with it

> | Yes. Collect as many as you can, identify them, sell them. Repeat. My
> | favorite way of making money with a lowlevel character on newer servers
> | (i.e. those without the "create money" spell).
> |
> I noticed many zobmie corpses, hands etc were `magical'. I just thought
> it pretty stange.
>
> I did try collecting zombie corspes and selling them but didn't realise
> the ``identification'' part! Never go enough for the bother, so I since
> been using `alchemy' on them, to turn them into transportable gold.

Argh! At least do identify them bfore you alchemy them. Use the
"woodsman" skill if you have it, else carry them to a shop, identify
them, and sell them there. I always identify everything to get much
more money, which makes alchemy rather useless at low mental
levels/without the identification skills. Money is just too important
for me at low levels.

> It always is a good idea to `explain' why you would so something.
> when giving tips for beginners.

The problem is: how far should one go with explaining things?  Another
possible question: why did I show a way to get wisdom experience
first? Answer: because wisdom is extremely important. Why? Because
"summon avatar" and "immunity to fire" are important prayers. Why?
Because you can kill tougher monsters. Why does one want to do that?

Or the suggestion to join the Jehova cult instead of Mostrai: it's a
big advantage at higher levels, because Jehova has high level enemies.

> | Hm... ok :-) I'll make up another chapter.
> |
> No need,

Hey, I start to like writing introductory manuals :-) I'll probably do
the magic chapter, the newbie random artifact chapter and the 2nd part
of the wisdom chapter anyway, which more or less includes everything
that I try to teach newbies. Everything else are just random hints,
more or less useful (the better the character, the less useful the
hints... I don't want to be a spoiler. And generally no useful hints
for the powerful items).

Oh, one hint: passwords are case-sensitive, unless the map maker has
added different spellings (such as @match Password|password). I have
seen people running all over Lake Country trying to find the place
where to use a password they just discovered, since it "didn't work"
in the obvious place. The problem was they used "password", even
though the guy told them the password is "Password"... this is not
really useful for newbies, though, just don't forget it...

> just expand you `bindings' chapter and explain some basics.
> Particularly like multiple commands. then have a section on some
> common bindings (and any explainations) {section on command
> meanings}

Hm... I don't really see a problem there that needs explaining :-(

> Ready favorite range weapon bind apply -a bow

Eech. Who needs a keybinding for that? You almost never need bows.

> Ready Magic Missile binding
>     bind  apply -a talisman;cast magic missile
> And simularly for other magic spells. The talisman allows characters
> with non-magic skills to cast spells like the wizards do.
>
> Heal thyself
>    bind  apply -a holy symbol;invoke minor healing

bind cast minor healing;stay fire

is much better. Why? Because "invoke" casts into the direction you are
facing. If there is another player you will heal him instead of you.
People have died because the "invoke"d immunity to fire onto another
player instead of themselves...

As I said before: you don't need to apply the holy symbol, it's done
automatically.

> And for other priest spells.
>
> {holy word attack spell}

The problem is that the keybindings change as you learn new spells.
Holy word, for example, is generally replaced with holy orb since it
is more effective and kills from a distance. It doesn't really make
sense to suggest keybindings --- people have to decide for themselves
whether they want a spell on a key.

Also, some people prefer to "invoke" some attack spells, whereas I
generally "cast" them and fire them with the direction keys. It's
generally a matter of personal preference.

However, a general rule should be followed: keep your best healing
spell and "cure confusion" on a key that you can reach easily while
running. I have healing on "z" (or "y" on german keyboards), "apply
healing potion" on "x" and cure confusion on "c", so I can use those
with the hand that holds down the control key.

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber