Re: CF: Interesting bugs

James Cameron on  wrote...
| Anthony Thyssen wrote:
| > For map makers an alturnative is to use a set of spikes to move the
| > item(s) onto a teleporter. However instead of one square this solution
| > requires extra fencing around the tiem to ensure it is pushed onto a
| > teleporter.
|
| For the Raffle maps, enlarge the map, place the fenced areas off the
| visible map a fair way from the visible area, and have a set of "demo"
| items on display.

Raffles seems to have a lot of old junk still on the maps.
For example a lot of the `complexity' at the start of the map
   * handle to drop boulder (ready)
   * to initialise the cascade (set)
   * and one to start the cascade (go)
Is just NOT needed. The only reason I can think of is that
there is a second `boulder', for a `second chance' which was
disabled (no key to get into that room).

In fact I can easily (now) rewrite that map so only one handle is needed
and you have to have the `ticket' to get at the handle (same as for the
boulder drop).  This would however be a once off cascade.

That is the boulder is set and ready to go but the `go' handle
needs a ticket to start it.

A second boulder can also be place to `go' immediately with a different
handle (using same once use only ticket, or a seperate ticket).
More boulders can also be in `ready' positions.

But of course more than 2 boudlers could start looking ugly,
and have a chance at `missing a prise' unless the cascade is looped.

The Uglyness of multiple boulders, at the start of the cascade, can also
be removed by having the handle `teleport' the boulder into the cascade
`loop' where they immediately roll around and around until one prise is
picked. ALL the prises could then be accessable, though The last prise
could be a long time in coming :-)

| If you do have to "display" the boulders, choose a face that makes it
| look other than a stone-age lottery.  ;-)  Perhaps the same face as the
| floor it sits on, so that the implementation method (boulders) is
| hidden.

In my experiments I have found their is no reason to use a boulder at
all! In fact my initial cascade was with a `card' (weight 2) (like the
ticket itself) though in raffles a card would get burnt to a cinder
quickly by that chaos flooring.

You just have to be more carefull with button trigger weight (explained
on test maps).  Small butons have to be used for the cascade anyway
as a buttons `weight' is its `tigger wieght', and using 10000 unit
button plates is a bit much. (10 button plates = 1 black hole?)

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
   `` What was that? '' Jerry asked, peering over the edge.
   `` I think it was a ninja dwarf. '' Wiz said wonderingly ...
                                           -- Rick Cook, "Wizardry Cursed"
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au