Re: CF: Sex & Crossfire

On Dec 24,  2:47pm, Anthony Thyssen wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Sex & Crossfire
> "Mark Wedel" on  wrote...

> I would be against this idea. Sure give them money,
> Tourist class anyone? But a new person in the game would have no idea
> he should go get stuff and what he should get. More than likely spend
> money of some u-beut armour and have nothing left for a weapon!
> Better to give then some minimal stuff to play with straight up.

 I don't know how much hand cradling for new players really should be done.
If the player really screws up on buying equipment, they can start over.
The only disadvantage I could see to giving money is that a player
could start a whole bunch of characters and kill off each one but keep
accumulating that money.  On the other hand, this is probably no worse than
players who drop off a whole bunch of equipment from their experienced
characters for their new first level character.

 I personally don't do this (if I am starting a new character, I want to
play that challenge of getting up levels - I don't want to be given
10,000 pp, and all the great artifacts so just easily/safely gain exp
at low levels.

> Does the `arch' have to be spefically a player class?
> Why not just a generic `player' arch but with different images
> for race and classes. That could simplify a lot of things!

 That is sort of the way it is done (or I am not clear what you are asking.)

 In some sense, all arch's are sort of generic.

 The way things currently work:

 When a new person joins the game, it searches through all the archetypes
and stores those that match the player type.  It then presents those to the
player for possible classes.  The player arches include things like
stat adjustments, starting equipment, immunities/protections/whatever,
and images used.

 This means that to add a new class, all that is needed is to make a new
archetype (likely with different bonuses), and put it in.  No code
change needed.

 The arch is still needed after the player is created for recalculations on
abilities - keep track of native resistances as well as maximum stat
values.

 That said, a defunct class may not need to still be of player type.  But
the specific classes need specific arch's to correspond to them - this
is where we get the bonuses and what not.

 I would much rather have that information stored in the archetype
file than stored someplace in the actual code.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com