Re: CF: continuous protection levels

I have thought quite alot about redoing protection and immunity.
If I ever got a big chunk of free time I was going to do it.

The scheme that seemed best to me was by default leave the item's
protection/vulnerable attribute alone, but for the player count the
number of protections and immunites.  Then generate tables of protection
percentage for the result (ie protectDam[immunity][protect]) so a player
with 1 immun but multiple vulnerabilities would have different protection
than player with 1 immun and no vuln.  The default table values would
give single immunity only 85% reduction in damage and double like 92%
and so on.

The immunity attribute for monsters would be internally stored as like
10 immunities which table lookup would indicate to 100% dam reduction.
So monsters with immunities would truly be immune, while players with
immunity would just be highly protected unless player had 10 items giving
that immunity.

I would allow new keywords for reading in archetypes so something could
specify how many protection/vulnerabilities.  Thus allowing for relatively
weak protections (such as given out to followers of gods).  The default
for an item whose bitmask indicates protected/vulnerable would be like
+/- 5 prot/vuln so items could be left unchanged in archetypes (and
player's files) and still be considered strong magic.

By having multiple levels which index into a table of protection given,
it allows for straightforward adjusting.  It didn't seem practical to
come up with a general formula since it would be very hard to adjust
to handle all the cases correctly.

I wish you good luck if you decide to do it.  I would be very interested
in seeing any prelinimary version of this code in order to help the
playbalance and generally help make it a very good change.

							sdw