Re: CF: Auto-skills, auto-key-finding, what next?

On Feb 19,  9:25am, James Cameron wrote:
> Subject: CF: Auto-skills, auto-key-finding, what next?
> It's a bit worrying that there is so much demand for automation ... it
> removes some of the skill of the game.  Perhaps we should think of an
> automatic "fight until I'm hurt then run" function?  ;-)

 But some of the automation of skills make sense - the mountaineering is such a
case - are you going to forget how to quickly move through mountains?  Probably
not.

> And on bargaining CHA increase ... I'd say reduce another stat at the
> same time, just for completeness.  Hmm.  I'm imagining myself in a shop,
> and I turn on my bargaining mode; what do I lose?  I'm concentrating so
> much on the shop keeper that I'm less prepared to defend myself.  Sure,
> nobody gets hurt in shops, but that's not the point.  Decrement DEX?

 What probably makes more sense is some dependancies on having/not having
certain equipment applied.  For example, if you have an applied weapon,
bargaining perhaps should not work (may look more like you are threatening the
shopkeeper from his point of view.)  So maybe change it so you can not bargain
if you have an applied weapon.

 Similar things could be done for mountaineering - maybe it is not possible to
still get that benefit if wearing plate (ie, too difficult to rock climb in
plate?)

 Unfortunately, there is no good way to do this other than hardcoding certain
things into the code - it would certainly be nice to have such dependancies
listed in the item some how.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com