Re: CF: Stupid: strange ring

> Yep. That's the point --- crossfire is multiuser, so if you can't get
> useful items because the two or three persons you happened to be the
> first to get them already have them, people just won't play on another
> server but their own. Crossfire is not a MUD, it's an action game.

  And this is its biggest failing, in my opinion.  MUDs have long
  lifespans and are many are extremely well-balanced.  Crossfire
  could have been the world's first graphical MUD, and instead it's
  the world's biggest Gauntlet game.

> The problem with high level characters is that there is _no_ challenge.
> It's easy to get high levels, and then the game becomes _very_ simple.
> IMHO cf is play-balanced for low levels, but boring for high level
> characters.

  This is *exactly* the problem I was addressing with my mail.  We
  all noticed the same thing when I played it some years ago.  When
  you get to that level, what do you do?  You start another character,
  and then gripe about how boring *that* is.  There seems to be a
  magic time, around 10th-15th level, when the game is actually fun,
  and then it goes downhill.

  If everyone feels this way, then why is everyone resisting changing
  the game to make it harder for high-level players?

  -steve