Re: CF: Client and images

> Not sure what exactly you are asking.
>
> I would note that including the complete images for the client would add
>considerably to the client download size.  It might be more reasonable to just
>write a little perl script and include it in the 'arch' distribution which wil
>take the images and store them in the directory structure that the client uses
>for images (wastes some space (ie, you will end up tossing out all the .arc
>files), but keeps the client download size small and reduces the number of
>individual packages that would need to be maintained.)
>
> Furthermore, a seperate image archive for the client would make sense,, since
>generally few images are changed/added between each release (the few that are
>added could be downloaded and cached easily enough).  So having to download al
>the images on each client update would be quite a bit of a waste.

Well here is my take on things. Server admins may add
custom images and such but most will still use
the base images that have already been created
thus it makes sense to me that the client should have
these local from the start, with static faceid<->image
mappings of course. It may add a lot to the client
download but I'd rather download the images once then
everytime I want to play. Plus the image files can be
compressed if included with the client distribution.
The xpm image file (esrv_xpm.eric) compresses down to
500K from 3meg.. Anyway, for this to be possible there
needs to be a static mapping of faceid to image which I
think should happen so client authors at least have the
option of including images with the client distribution...

	-Scott