Re: CF: Client and images

> it would be pretty trivial to add support in the client to
>download all needed images before (basically, just add a client
>request of something like image_names 0 500 which tells the server
>it wants the name->number mappings for images 0->500.  Client
>updates its records, and if it doesn't have any of those
>images, uses the normal request mechanism to get a copy.)

That would be nice.

> In theory, the server never has to store the xpm images in memory - that is
>the way Eric originally wrote the code.  The images could just as easily be
>kept in a file and then sent for that matter.

I experimented with this a bit with the java server and it wasn't
very pleasant, although java IO is pretty lame..
It might be doable by preparsing the file and
storing offsets for each image, that way I could
skip right to the image I want... Anyway.

> In any case, 3.5 megs isn't a lot, and will likely get swapped out in most
>cases.  Ram is pretty cheap nowadays anyways, and keeping them in memory will
>likely give at least a slightly better performance gain when needing to send
>them.

On the c-server sure, but I was also thinking about the java server
and the garbage collector is very good at keeping everything
in memory unfortunetly...

	-Scott