Re: CF: maps/machine load/server<->server

On Jan 16,  9:02am, James Cameron wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: maps/machine load/server<->server
> Christian Stieber wrote:
> > [...] I'm astonished at the lightning speed that ships and
> > dragon transports have in cf -:)
>
> When I met the game a few months ago, I noted that as an example of
> unreality.  It is too easy to travel a long distance due to the scale
> changes and the instant transports.

 This is one of those things on the TODO list - to increase outdoor distance.
However, before I start that, I want to implement automatic map tiling, since
that will make such changes easier to maintain.

> For the ships and dragon transports, I'd guess adding a terrain-style
> delay to the square itself might be a good first try.  Then I think a
> special in-transit map of a ship or a dragon ... with a door that opens
> and stays open a certain time after the player moves into the map.

 There a few things to do here.  A simple method would be to require some
payment to use such transports (a ship isn't going to take you around the world
for free, after all.)  A more complicated approach (also on the TODO list)
would be to have ships more like the old ultima approach - you enter the ship,
but you can now move the ship along in the water.  Another thing a ways off.

> Increasing the cost of long distance travel would have an effect on
> death.  It would make it less bearable.  Then again, it would be "nice"
> if on death you are moved back to your latest sleeping place ... it was
> all a bad dream.

 Once again, another thing on the TODO list.  This is probably an easier one.
 However, rather than the last place saved (since there are occasionally
savebeds in dungeons or ohter not so nice places), it might be better to have
special temples/sanctuaries instead (word of recall puts you there also.)  So
if you go to the special sanctuary, and make a sacrifice or whatever, you then
return there next time you die or cast word of recall.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com