CF: teleportation

James Cameron (cameron@stl.dec.com) wrote:

> Increasing the cost of long distance travel would have an effect on
> death.  It would make it less bearable.  Then again, it would be "nice"
> if on death you are moved back to your latest sleeping place ... it was
> all a bad dream.

I was considering adding a new archetype that would have a location
encoded in it (like exits etc.). "word of recall" would check your
inventory for such an item, and move you to that place.

This would allow map designers to make appartment keys that cause you to
"word of recall" into your appartment. It could, of course, be used to
set the starting point after death as well.

Another thought that I had was to have "destination points" in maps.
When a player moves to such a place and applies it, it would add an
invisible object to your inventory containing the location of that
destination point, to be used for word of recall. Or one has to cast
a spell instead of applying the dest point.

We could even maintain a list of destination points "inside" the
player, to let the player choose where to teleport to. This would,
basically, turn "word of recall" into a more general "teleportation"
spell. Anz thoughts on that?

Christian