Making Classes more distinct (Re: CF: towards 1.0)

> Christain writes:
>
> discussions about things that I think need some discussion --- in this
> case, it's the question how to make the classes more distinct, so that
> you _get_ something in return for the things that you _loose_.
> But often things tend to go nowhere... -:(

	This is an old thread (heh, in the vein of much of the
	traffic on this list in the past week). Plenty of mail flew
	around on the subject of making distinct, balanced multiplayer
	play occured on this list about a year ago. As far as I can
	tell the best suggestions to correct the "Im a high level
	characater with the same abilities as you" problem were:

	1) Make the stat potions rare. Stats place much of the
	   distinction on character resources. The problem with this
	   is that you lose a stat point w/ each death, so the
	   lack of stat potions becomes a problem. My solution is that
	   we either remove the death stat loss OR (better) make
	   sure that your stats cant decrease below a certain threshold
	   (say something like a total of 7 x 13 = 91 pts). Also, make
	   stat loss MORE for higher level characters (say have
	   character lose 1 stat point per 20 levels of experience
	   upon death).

	2) Adjust some of the spell levels. Many of the current
	   items in the roster of spells are abusive.

	3) Limit artifact creation (eg. special weapon use). Perhaps
	   readjust this to be more strict...say only 1 improvement
	   per 10 levels, with a starting base of 3 improvements.

	4) Fix abusive maps. And Im talking about big abuses like
	   getting the meteor swarm and face of death spells, also
	   some artifacts like +9 power dragonmail.

	There were other fixes mentioned, but not as popular (heh, or
	I dont remember them right now). Ex. I remember there were some
	problems with the party system, but Im not sure if Rauli (or
	someone else?) fixed them.

						-b.t.