Re: CF: teleportation

> > and carry around, or by creating an invisible object in the player
> > inventory when the player applies such a destination point, or whatever.
>
>  I got that part.  But there still needs to be some limit on that - otherwise
> a moderate character could potentially be able to teleport to any map very
> quickly.  Now this can be fixed by not having those special points on the maps,
> but if very few maps have them, then it becomes pretty useless doesn't it?
>
>  And if the map is a very deep dungeon, only being able to teleport to the very
> start doesn't do a lot of good if you are working on clearing it out and want
> to quickly return to town now and again.  And if the special points are put
> throuughout the map, you still have an advantage in that you might be able to
> skip most of the adventure and still get to the treasure room.

Hm.. agreed -:) Somebody suggested a "homeing" rune, that players could cast
and "teleport" to --- only if the homeing rune is still there. This seems
like a reasonable idea to prevent "shortcutting" maps. I think the same
person also suggested that players should be able to teleport to homeing
runes that are _not_ around anymore for some special maps, like the
world maps and cities. There would still be the need to "mark" those
maps as "can always teleport to", but it should be a lot less work.

Personally I like this idea very much.

>  word of recall is an AD&D spell, and the crossfire implementation follows that
> definition reasonable close (in AD&D, it allows a high level cleric to return
> to his sanctuary).

Oh.. that makes sense. I never played [A]D&D, and the only "word of recall"
I have seen before crossfire was the one from Moria.

> from a playbalance type of view, if word of recall is a cleric spell, it make
> sense to only bring him back to his sanctuary, and teleport should be a mage
> spell.

I don't really care whether teleportation is a wizard or priest spell
--- after all, it's not a combat spell, so it doesn't matter whether
it uses mana or grace.

Christian