Re: CF: party system

On Jan 20, 10:21pm, Philip Brown wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: party system
>     >I don't think I've seen this issue addressed recently...
>     >What is the point of parties, anyway?
>     >The whole idea of distributing experience "evenly", is just grossly
>     >unrealistic.
>
>     Not at all, the idea is everyone in the party helps do
>     said task, usually it is killing evil things.. The idea
>     that the person who got the killing blow gets all
>     the experience is unrealistic to me.
>
> That's really my point. It should be for damage inflicted or something.

 Sharing experience for a shared task might be reasonable (if the party
worked together to kill some monster, even if the clerics didn't inflict
damage but instead casted protection and healing spells, the clerics
should probalby still get exp.)

 However, there is no reasonable way for crossfire to enforce/check that.
One person can do all the killing, and everyone in the party gets exp.
So while in the case of a live action RPG, the GM can decide what is
reasonable exp for each member of the group (if everyone in that group
helped out, everyone gets some exp, if one person did all the work, only
he gets the exp), that is very difficult to do for crossfire.

Even if you apply some such ideas, it doesn't take very long for players
to figure out how crossfire is figuring that stuff out, and quickly
adapt habits (I remember a very old computer game that did that - it didn't
take me too long to figure out that the clerics needed to cast healing
spells while in combat to get exp, etc.)

 Just a note:  If the party system is full of abuses, there is an option
in config.h to disable it.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com