Re: CF: images & caching.

>  Server 1 gets some new images, genrates a new archive.  collect.pl scripts see
> it is still 0.94.0, so calls the new version 0.94.0.001 or something.
>
>  Server 2 gets some new images, but different from server 1.  IT rebuilds, and
> likewise it gets called 0.94.0.001.
>
>  Client connects to server 1.  Sees different imaging version, gets the
> changes.  IT now believes it has a valid version of 0.94.0.001 (so future
> connects to server 1 are fast and easy.)
>
>  Client then decides to play on server 2.  IT compares version - they match, so
> it thinks it is OK.  Doesn't work, as we have different images.

	Ah, but thats the point of "blessing" a version. You allow only the
	blessed versions to have "0.94.000" type names. Anything higher means
	its a modified image cache of that generation. Assuming that the
	verison number is set by collect.pl, it will always increment on
	each rebuild. This means that any non-blessed version is server
	specific and will require the client to store the server name, along
	with the version number.

	Examples of client image cache version names :

	0.94.000:<server>	"blessed" version. <server> value is
				irrelevant, as this is the same for all
				machines.

	0.94.001:<server1>	1st "altered" version for <server1>, and
				not to be confused with "0.94.001:<server2>"

	Of course, the server always knows its own name, and only needs the
	version/build number on its image archive.

	You could have a system whereby the client of version X.YY.Z is
	always distributed with the blessed image cache. When it logs onto
	a server with an altered image set, it copies over the blessed version
	and modifies it, as per the server instruction (or overwrites it, or
	just plain starts a new cache with the identifying version/server
	tag, you get the idea).

	Under this scheme, the client will store several caches for use on the
	various servers its logged into. Not too complex I think...

							-b.t.