Re: CF: light bug?

On May 27, 11:51am, James Cameron wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: light bug?
> Mark Wedel wrote:
> > 1) some buildings (ie, shops) should be closed at certain times.  In
> > fact, for shops, it might make sense for them to open at 8 am, close
> > at 6 pm, and reset during the night, but never during the day.
>
> Yes.  But what about the shops that are open all night?  They should
> have higher prices as a result.  Not prototypical, perhaps.  ;-)

 Actually, it would be nicer to have more uniqueness in the shops.  Ie, a gem
shop in the mountains should perhaps have cheaper gems, a shop by the ocean has
cheaper fish, you can only get some stuff in some shops.

 One of the ultima games had a town that was really only open at night.  Stuff
like that - won't change the game greatly, but it adds some more personality to
the game.

> And what if you stay in a shop after hours; do the lights go out or does
> a nasty troll come along to push you out the door?

 I think shops could be completely redone to be more interesting.  Some things
that I could see being added:

 1) Some ability to steal items (have to be careful here, and make it pretty
hard - otherwise, once a character can do it 100% successfully (or knows he can
kill the guards or whatever) they can get gobs of money.  On the other hand,
maybe not a big problem if by the time the character can do that, money is no
longer an issue.

 2) Better interaction with shopkeepers (actually add shopkeepers).  More
ability for conversation, and better ability to bargain or something (not sure
if this is worth it).

 3) As said above, more variation between shops (prices, items available, etc).

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com