Re: CF: hello

Mark Wedel (mark@siemens-pyramid.com) wrote:

> > Well, the server knows everything about the character, so this is not
> > a possible way to cheat. However, you can make intelligent clients,
> > ..
>
>  Note that all actions now take some time.  Complex keybindings will now
> take the appropriate amoutn of time (before, for example, you could
> bind a key to apply armor, weapon, shield, helmet, and half a dozen things
> and it only take one tick.  Now, if you have such a binding that does 6
> actions, it will take 6 ticks).

Cool :-) I always found it very funny that you can put on a plate mail
in no time :-) (Since I'm from the nethack community... where you can
actually die while putting on your plate mail since it takes soooo long,
with the only choice being to continue putting on the armor, or aborting
it).

> realistic times (right now, most everything takes the same amount of
> time, whether it is putting on plate mail or drawing a dagger, it
> takes 1 tick)

Well, it's a start :-)

> > player never does since the exp/time ratio is too bad. With an
> > auto-client this doesn't matter.  There is no way one could prevent
> > this.
>
>  True.  However, that gets into a bit more serious programming on the
> client side.  In theory, all of that could be done with the older
> server side X11 - there are X11 scripting tools.  IT would be
> easier to write something like that with the client, but then you
> certainly ask the question why the heck are you playing the game?

Hey, I didn't say I want to do that. I was just pointing out that it could
be done :-)

>  I am missing the bug/cheat here.  Certainly the current login scheme
> is not especially secure, but for someone to find out the password
> they either need to have access to the character files or be sniffing the
> net.  Is there really that much of a problem?

No, I was talking about the passwords in the game that give you
access to maps.

>  Certainly looking at the map isn't honest, but what about repeat players?
> Password remain the same on the maps, so for example you can do the lich
> tower in navar city without doing the preceding quests (and experience
> would tell you that a rust monster is behind that door and that map,
> and to kill that thing, you do this, and so on).  IF nothing else, as a
> repeat player, you would have a very good idea if you could do some
> map or not, and the better maps to get treasure from, and so on.  Maybe
> not quite the level of using crossedit.

Well, repeat playing is what I do. There is no way I can prevent it ---
how am I supposed to forget all my map-knowledge?

>  To me, true cheating would be editing the character or using unreported
> or other unintentional bugs to you advantage.

Well, editing the character is quite impossible, unless you are your own
server admin :-)

Christian

Follow-Ups: References: