Re: CF: Random Maps and inclusion of disease code

On Sep 8,  8:55pm, Peter Mardahl wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Random Maps and inclusion of disease code
> >
> >  Some of this could perhaps be improved by some better randomization of the
> > (different monsters each time or something).  But unless new maps are
> > constantly created, at one point you do have pretty much the entire map set
> > under your belt.  I don't really know to much what can be done to improve
on
> > that.
>
> How about DECENT random maps?  Moria does it.  Angband does it.  Nethack does
it.
> Someone was working on this?

 If they are, I haven't heard much.  I would note that crossfire is at least
more complicated that either nethack and moria, so at least a bit smarter map
making program would probably be needed.

> DECENT random maps would improve the game in many ways, because you
> could "theme" the random maps so that classes under-represented in the
> designed maps could have things to do.

 True.  I think probably the one thing that hasn't kept up as much with all the
other changes in crossfire is the maps.

 This is to say that a lot of new features have been added to crossfire
(alchemy, gods, etc), but very few maps actually do anything with this.

 I actually think alchemy is one of the under used areas of the game.  I
remember one of the ultima games where hunting for various ingredients to make
special spells was relatively importantly.  In crossfire, at current time, the
good recipes are either too rare or the recipes that are found tend not to be
that useful.  Actually, weapon improvement could probably be much more
interesting if somehow mixed with alchemy.

 I would also like to see quests for various gods, along with special temples
for them and the like.  Right now, you pretty much look and see what the best
god is, find an altar, and thats about it.  Holy quests open to only one god
could add more interest, with special rewards at the end of that quest that
make sense relative to the god.

> BTW, Mark, want to include diseases now?  A few comments:

 Probably as good a time as any sense the 0.95.x probably will be more lots of
code changes that may introduce bugs compared to the last few releases which
have been more just bug fix/minor improvement releases.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com

Follow-Ups: References: