Re: CF: weapons

On Sep 16,  5:22pm, Jettero Heller wrote:
> Subject: CF: weapons
> Has anyone else noticed, that once you make your own weapon (even at 10th
> level), all the artifact weapons seem really lame?
>
> I made a sword as a 15th level-er, and it was way better than Excalibur, and
> Firebrand.  Bold names (and high dollar sales), but... bummer weapons.
>

> I'm thinkin' that either the artifact weapons arn't good enough, or self-made
> weapons are too good.

 A lot needs to be done in playbalance.  Some of the artifact weapons are not
that good.

 Looking at the code, a 15'th level fighter could use an weapon enchanted 7
timess if skill system, or 20 (!) times if not using the skill system.  I think
that is the non skill one is certainly way too powerful.

 Even 7 times is fairly powerful, rivaling that of some artifacts (however,
improvement right now is really limited to stats, damaga, and magical plus -
many artifacts have suprerior attacktypes, or other special bonus (hp or sp
regen, immunities, protections, etc).

 I think some problem might be at one problem the game was probably sort of
designed to end when characters got to level 30 or so.  Given that, the power
achieved by that level wouldn't be too unreasonable (formula for player made
weapons with skills is level/5 +5, so at level 30, it would be 11
enchantments).  But with things going up to level 100 and people playing that
far, many things are not well balanced.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com