Re: CF: Servers

On Sep 23, 12:06pm, Christian Stieber wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Servers
> James Cameron (cameron@stl.dec.com) wrote:
>
> > The sequence is that each server sends a short text UDP packet to a list
> > of metaservers every time a player logs in or logs out of the server,
> > subject to a minimum timing limit.

 Note that for crossfire, a list of all servers and who is on them is less
useful than for arcarde games.  The main reason being the a players character
resides on a particular server, and more than likely the player will want to
continue with that character than go to a server where they need to create a
new server.

 A long time ago there was a discussion about migrating characters between
servers.  While certainly possible, there are lots of pitfalls (items existing
on only one server, or even options that make playbalance between servers
different - with automatica migration, a character that is more powerful than
could have be hoped to natural progress on a server could be brought in.)

 So to me, the main advantage on the metaserver would just being able to know
what servers are available when first playing.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com