No Subject

________=22Re=3A_CF=3A_Suggestion=3A_Talking_=28was_Re=3A_CF=3A_Suggestion?=
 =?iso-8859-1?Q?=3A_Reg_exps=2E=2E=2E=29=22_=28Sep_25=2C__6=3A29pm=29?=
To: Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se (=?iso-8859-1?Q?_Rapha=EBl_Quinet?=),
 crossfire@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: CF: Suggestion: Talking (was Re: CF: Suggestion: Reg exps...)

--PART-BOUNDARY=.19809251516.ZM8550.eng.pyramid.com

On Sep 25,  6:29pm,  Rapha=EBl Quinet wrote:

<...>  Much deleted, most all of which I agree with

> Of course, a more complex scripting language could do much more than
> that.  But implementing these 4 or 5 commands should not be too hard.
> Errr...  I never did it, but if there are any volunteers out there...

 I will also note that improving the scripting language is a pretty indep=
endent
thing to the rest of the code- that is to say that what code you look at =
should
be pretty much confined to just that parsing area.

 While I can see an extremely complex parsing language could be nice, I t=
hink a
fairly simple one, like Raphael outlined, would add a lot to the game wit=
h a
minimal amount of code.

 The only addition I would make would be a @give command, so NPC's can gi=
ve
objects.  Ideally, a @take command could also be nice (@take 10 gold coin=
, and
if the NPC sees that amount dropped around him, he takes it).  That @take=
 could
obviously update a state variable, which has a @give nested below it, and=

probably sets another state variable so that it won't do that again.

 This would certainly make the current NPC's a bit more active.  Note at =
this
could slow get increased (ie, maybe you create a temple and what a high p=
riest
to cast healing spells for the right price.  So you add a @cast command a=
t some
point).

 The main point being that the starting point for all of this is some for=
m of
state conditions so we can know if the appropriate action has been done.

 One of the things I think it is more worth focusing on now in crossfire =
is
making the world at large a bit more interesting.  I think we already hav=
enough monsters, spells, and items to last quite a while, and the general=
 play
is OK.  However, what the game is missing is interesting NPC's, backgroun=
maps, and good quests.  Some of those certainly exist, but not really in
sufficient numbers in my opinion.

-- =

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com

--PART-BOUNDARY=.19809251516.ZM8550.eng.pyramid.com--