Re: CF: Restoration Potions

Steve Fink wrote:

> Doug wilder wrote:
> >
> > Well, im not infavor of eliminating major game elements such as Immunity
> > rings. But it would be nice to recover some of the lost experience some how,
> > or maybe even this..
>
> I am most definitely in favor. I used to get an adrenaline rush when I
> opened a door to a room filled with six grim reapers. Now I sometimes
> use them as blockers, to prevent any of those _dangerous_ undead from
> getting close. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

 At some point, the game is going to need a rebalancing effort done - remove
some artifact, adjust others, change monsters, etc..  Crossfire has definately
become a 'creeping immunity' type of thing - some new immunity item is added, so
map makers respond by new tougher monster (with even more immunities), and so
on.  I personally think too many monsters are immune to too much stuff.  Players
can also become immune to too much stuff.

 At one point, immunity to drain was only available by the strange ring, and
those were quite rare, so you were happy when you found one (and those rings
only were immune and drain and depletion I believe).  You now have the more
common ring of life, which also gives a regen +2 rate (which by itself might be
worth wearing), and so good shop searching can usually turn those up if you have
the money.

 I don't really want to rehash the balance and artifact discussion again.  But I
do agree with steve - at one time, grim reapers where something you really
feared.  If playing with NOT_PERMADEATH, getting attacked by them could be
nastier than dying.

> You could always swap them with charged items -- total immunity to the
> next n drains, or for the next n experience points of drain (the latter
> has a strange balancing effect where it's much less useful for high
> level characters).

 High level characters are less likely to be affected by grim reapers however -
they are more likely to have the speed and/or spells to take out a group of
grimreapers before they pose a direct hazard.

> Some variant of this seems reasonable. I'm not sure what balance
> problems might arise from having lots of people running around with high
> levels but lousy skills.

 There is a current problem in that there is a maximum exp total allowed
(general category), and I believe when that is reached, you effectively stop
gaining any exp in any category.  I don't consider the bug that there is a
maximum total, more the bug is that you can't get it in other categories.  But I
don't consider that a big problem - if you reach max exp, you should probably
retire the character.

 The problem I can see with large total exp difference from skill exp is that
the character could be quite tough (and with good items) in the general
category, but lack the skill levels to do tough dungeons because of that
discrepency.  So they are left doing intermediate dungeons they may have done
before, which are not very interesting.

 (re regaining lost exp)
> Well potions etc. aren't free. But that's an interesting wrinkle, and
> probably easier to implement besides.

 Yeah - restoration should probably be limited to potions - things that cost at
least some amount of money.  But at some level, money is usually no object
(being there is not enough stuff to buy with the money).  That money problem is
probably both good and bad - you don't want players to be able to buy all the
useful stuff in shops, but at the same time, it can be frustrating to have a
pile of money and nothing to do with it.