Re: CF: Experiments

Mark Wedel wrote:

>  Weight of potions should probably be lowered.  I think they range from 1.5 to 3
> kg or something?  Seems awfully heavy, since I dont' see the size of a potion as
> any larger than that or a coke can (granted, the potion is in a glass container
> and not alumimum, but even then, probably half a kg or something is reasonable).

    Isn't "kilogram" defined as the weight of a liter of water?  Or maybe
it's the other way around.  It's been a while, but I remember something
about pure water at sea-level pressure being some standard density.  Anyway,
a 12 oz. can of soda is 355 mL, or a little more than a third of a
kilogram.  Assuming the container brings it up to 0.5 kg, I'd say a potion
definitely shouldn't weigh more than that.  Can you imagine if every healing
potion or magic power potion your character is drinking was the equivalent
of chugging a whole can of Coke?  And what about those times you stand
outside a room, holding potions of fire immunity, cold immunity, shock
immunity, invulnerability, magic immunity, and heroism, then quaff them all
just before charging in to take on a hoarde of big nasty things.  I don't
know about you, but I don't think I'd feel much like swinging a sword right
after downing a two liter bottle of anything.

>  Some of the problem is that while it says weight, it is really encumberance (or
> that is probably the idea).  A better method would be have a seperate 'space'
> attribute which determines how big the item is, and use both of those.  Don't
> try to use the weight field to take both into consideration.

    Sounds like a good plan to me.  I was starting to wonder just how that
bookshelf managed to fit in my shopping bag.  Collapsable or something, I
guess.

>  I am sure some of this dates back to when crossfire was more a gauntlet clone.
> But I wonder if the regen rates should perhaps be better balanced.
>
>  Perhaps have regen rate (or sp/grace/hp) be determined by the stat which uses
> it.  Thus, a mage with a high power and low con would actually regain SP faster
> than HP.  And this way, the overall regain rate between for fighters HP and
> mages SP may be roughly equivalant, so that they wait for each other.

    Actually, regeneration rate already is determined by the appropriate
stats, to some extent.  The rate is actually determined by multiplying your
maximum by 1+ your bonus, then dividing some fixed number by the result.
For spell points that number is 2500, and for hit points, it's 1200.  That's
the formula that calculates how many ticks until you regenerate another
point.  So, if you have 120 hp, and +1 regeneration, you regenerate 1 hp
every 5 ticks.  With 125 sp and +1 magic, you get 1 sp every 10 ticks.  It's
those fixed numbers that make spell points regenerate slower.
    There do seem to be a few more +magic items than +regeneration items.
But on the other hand, prayers can regenerate hit points quickly, and
praying can regenerate grace quickly.  The only way to regenerate spell
points quickly, unless you're a monk, is to use a Glowing Crystal (which
you'll just have to wait around and charge later) or quaff a magic power
potion.  The result: mages do a lot of sitting around and wishing they could
meditate.

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org

Disclaimer: Any similarities to the opinions of any real or hypothetical
entities, living, dead, or otherwise, are clearly the reader's own delusion.

Quote of the Day:
"You know, if it wasn't for all the crime, graft, and corruption, this
 city wouldn't be any fun at all."  - Julie Winters, "The Maxx"