Re: CF: Double Quotes

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, David Sundqvist wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Mark Wedel wrote:
> > On Feb 2, 11:51am, John Cater wrote:
> > > Subject: CF: Double Quotes
> > > Does anyone know when double quotes (") stopped working as an
> > > abbreviation for 'say
> >
> >  I just tried it right now with the cfclient, and it works fine.
> >
> >  It appears there is some problem with it with the gcfclient.
>
> Yep, probably. gcfclient works differently than cfclient in that aspect.
> It doesnt like unterminated commands. The entry widget has it's own
> (standard) gtk handling routines for input, and keybindings arent active
> there. It could be made a special case tho, which would dump a say into
> and focus on the entry widget.

The special case should not be for the "say" command, but for anything
that is bound with "bind -e".  Any key binding that is supposed to leave
the client in edit mode should be treated in a special way: instead of
executing the command immediately, the text of that command should be
pasted into the entry widget and the input focus should be changed.

This would be more convenient for the user and would be closer to the
usual behaviour of the cfclient.  Some GTK apps are already doing
similar things by setting the input focus explicitely, so there would be
nothing wrong in doing that in the GTK client.

-Raphaël

P.S.: looking at the attribution lines above, it looks like Mark replied
      one day before the first message was posted.  :-)