Re: Map swapping/timing out: was Re: CF: Random maps - comments

On Feb 5,  5:34pm, Peter Mardahl wrote:
> Subject: Map swapping/timing out:  was Re: CF: Random maps - comments

> Is it really that the random maps are swapping out, or are they
> TIMING out?  If it's the latter, a fix might be pretty easily done.
> Otherwise, it'd become more difficult.

 Fix for the later should be quite easy - if a random map, just set the reset
time to be some pretty huge value.

> It's likely that random maps shouldn't be allowed to time out in
> short periods of time, because someone could be in the bottom levels
> of a random map, and not be able to come back out because the maps
> are now gone.

 Interesting point.  I wonder if some form of a conditional exit could be done
(ie, if map this leads to does not exist, use this exit instead).  Maybe in
0.96.x releases with the new object code.  The idea being that the stairs
leading up in a random map would by default go to the map above, but if that
map is gone, its secondary exit could be set to the actual exit location that
the random maps got created from.

> Perhaps random maps should only be 'timed out' when there is no one
> on the server?

 Don't know if that is a good idea.  In theory, especially down the road, you
could have servers running for quite a while which pretty much always has
someone on them.  The space they use would be a minor concern - bigger would be
the fact that the maps might never reset, so after the server had been up for a
few days, all the convenient located random maps have already been cleared out
and they might never reset.

 A better method would be to not swap out while someone is in that random
dungeon.  This is unfortunately harder to do because you need to know the
relations of the maps (x depends on y, y depends on z, and so on), and you
don't want to get it so cumbersome that you are chewing up a lot of cpu time
checking all these maps.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com