Re: CF: Auto-Saves, Editing, Tobas Tower

"Mark Wedel" on  wrote...
| >      dragons/trolls/beholders/etc. May not be able to connect
| >      immeditaely after a disconnect.
|
|  True.  But really, you have 2 hours to try and reconnect.  But there is that
| risk.

I give up.  You have a point about unique items in any case.

Let me just finish by saying, problems still exist and the current method
just seems overly complex to me.

| > |  Oldcity is vaguely a quest - there is no great reward at the end, but
| > |  there are a lot of different questions/stuff to get there.  On the
| > |  other hand, it is pretty low level quest for a lot of it, so a great
| > |  reward at the end probably would be overkill)
| > |
| > With the minimal reward for killing those trees and beholders in a
| > unrestricted enviroment. You have got to be kidding!
|
|  Trees are easy if you have missile weapons (they are slow enough that you can
| pretty much always keep away).  beholders are tougher of course.

In any case I added ONE and only one random artifact to the treasure
and placed the treasure `in the hole'.  This change is part of the
Scorn Update.  I will be making one new release in a couple of days
to tidy up.

Question. Why, on some maps, does crossedit add a random ``speed_left''
to all monsters with a negitive speed in their `arch'!

I thought the server made this randomization when it loaded the map
not the editor!  Because of this `randomization' many maps which are
loaded by crossedit, a minor change (or fake non-change), and save
causes a `diff' of that map to be extrememly large.

That is, instead of only a single context diff `patch' in a map,
say to change the return `exit', causes a 2000 line context diff patch
to be created due to almost every monster having a now different
`speed_left' to the original map.

This is NOT very nice at all.

| > Question:  Who controls the map of santo domino?
|
|  no one really.

Hmm Anyone else with comments about this tower?
Prehaps I should include a fix in the scorn update.
Though it is outside scorn.  -- anyone?

Recap..
=======8<--------
Their is a tower (tabas' tower?) there with a trap door and mouse hole
from the floor above. This map have a serious problem.  The mice fall
down the hole and full the room below. When the room is full the mice
continue to pile up all on top of each other, unable to move.

By the time the adventurer finishes the top level of the tower, and
falls down the same hole (generally slowly and cautiously for beginners)
he ends up on top of a pile of 200 or more mice!

Now normally mice are NOTHING to worry about after first level, just a
pain. As mice trapdoor in, they can't be completely wiped out which I
supose is the reason for this.  but 200 mice all on the same square all
biting at once will kill a 7th level adventurer dead in a matter on
moments!

I died re-learning the game this time here and I remember (now that I am
reminded of this) dieing many times, year ago when I previously played.

This is a serious bug in that map!  I don't mind mice and it fits in the
level of the map but this `mouse trap' is just too deadly and I'd like
to see it fixed some time.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
  The UNIX Project was the last best hope of defeating Microsoft. It Failed.
  But in the Year of the Platform Wars, it became something greater...
  Users last best hope for a open Operating System
  The year is 1998.   The place:   Linux 5               -- Anthony Thyssen
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au