Re: CF: random map & map start point

> Peter Mardahl on  wrote...
>
> Question. What are these `new wall arches' why were they needed ?

There was a naming convention for most of the types of walls which
autojoin.  Some walls, however, failed to follow the convention.
I created new archs which had the correct archetype name to go with
the correct face.

This came up because I wanted to use the wall's archetype name to
find the right wall to autojoin, rather than search crossedit's pickmap
for it.  I thought the convention was universal, but it wasn't, so
I created new walls which were named properly for the random map
generator.

> The problem is that the `default start point' of a map is not very
> exact.  It is like a pit enterence you can appear anywhere around the
> designated starting point on any `passable' square.
>
> Multiple Magic mouths can also be a problem.
> Prehaps you should just put a sign next to the enterence...
> Probably easier and can supply some extra info.

Not easier:  it's exactly the same difficulty.

> Sign name ``Random Map'', Content.. who created the `map style' and when,
> when it was randomly generated, and any other info the adventurer may be
> interested in.

Saying who created the map style won't be possible.  Each map is made of
many styles.

> This randomised start point is a real pain on many maps and the solution
> is usally to not use the map assigned `start point' but to have that
> start point specificed from the calling map.  Arrrgghhh..

In my random map generator, you ALWAYS appear on top of the exit back
the way you came, at least, that was my intention.

> | such as options like "place decor along walls", "no decor in corridors",
> | "this item belongs near this other item", which may be more trouble than
> | they are worth, but would be nice.
> |
> Which again needs some way of specifing coridors and rooms.
> Again two floor types in map generation is probably easiest.

Yes, that is obvious.

> And again is best done at the start as it is always harder to add things
> like this once the maps start being added to the real game.

I don't think there's going to be a rush of people generating random maps,
saving them permanently, and not modifying them a bit to make them nicer.
On-the-fly generated maps will be updated when the map generator is.

> Tell you what you create the extra map charcter
>    second floor style (outside or corridor)
>    second wall style
> &  second decore ????
> And I promise to create a nethack map generator

You first.  After all, I don't need a corridor style until there is
a layout with corridors.  You may use these conventions:
a char value of 1 for the second floor style.
I won't make 2 wall styles yet:  it would make autojoining rather
complex.
Do NOT place anything in the layout related to decor.

> | I was wondering how to do this.  The message is awfully easy to edit
> | in crossedit, which is why I chose it to place the parameters in.
> | Is this ease worth the downside of the players occasionally seeing
> | the map parameters as a message?  I decided it WAS worth it, because
> | the parameters would be known to the player anyway:  the information
> | is contained in what he can see.
> |
> You could write it on the sign mentioned instead. -- more room and
> optional to read

Chicken and egg.  The signs aren't created until the new map is created.
When the new map is created, the exit to it is handy:  it is entering
a random map exit which causes the random map to be made.

Having the data in the exit is therefore rather convenient.  I need not
search the map for some sign.  It is also rather convenient for the
person using crossedit to add the random map:  editing the exit's message
is very easy. I think I will not change it.

PeterM