Re: CF: Re: Temples of Scorn / New Pantheon

Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Gorlin wrote:
> In the old version you could only choose Jehovah as a god, now all are
> more or less equal - Jehovah (now Valriel) has been downgraded, while the
> others have been strengthened. I'll put a list of the changes at the end
> of the mail, for all those who're interested, and I'll also post a
> patchfile to the mailinglist ("patch <arch.path", then designating the old
> archetype file) in another mail.

Good!  I really like the fact that Valriel is not as powerful as the
old Jehovah.  With Jehovah, it was much too easy to get exp. by fighting
undeads and demons.  With this patch, the game will be a bit more
balanced.

By the way, your patch (included in the other mail) will be a bit hard to
apply for those who have a version 0.95.x, because you included a simple
diff instead of a context diff ("diff -c oldfile newfile").  The latter
would have been easier to apply because it is more tolerant to changes in
the file.  But it should work on 0.95.x with a bit of editing; I am going
to try that tonight.

> Another point I'd like to discuss though: As it is now (and also in all
> the versions before), it is possible for a character to bless a weapon on
> an altar from his god. Afterwards, he gives the weapon to another
> character (either of the same player, or any other) who follows another
> god, and the weapon gets blessed again - and again... This results in
[...]
> Perhaps we should add some kind of flag to a blesses weapon so that this
> kind of thing won't work anymore. (It makes things easier, and my
> characters also used this "feature"(bug?), but storywise its crap)

I haven't checked yet, but it should not be too difficult to do that.
If a blessed weapon gets a pointer to the god that blessed it, it
should be possible to check this later and compare the gods.  Then
the player who tries to get both blessings would get nothing at all.
It is simpler to consider that the weapon cannot be blessed anymore
instead of trying to remove the attacktypes that the other god could
have put on it (because it was OR'ed, so you do not know what was
there before).  And of course, the player would anger both his god
(for using a weapon blessed by another god) and the other one, so he
could get some surprises...

I will try to create some temples for these gods, so that Anthony can
integrate them in the new Scorn.  Hopefully, CrossFire will be a more
balanced game, with these new gods.

-Raphael