Re: CF: stable crossfire ?

On Jan 16,  2:54pm, Anthony Thyssen wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: stable crossfire ?
> Rupert.Goldie@ericsson.com.au on  wrote...
> | Subject: Re: Whats the plan? (Was: Re: CF: Suggestions and bugs)
> |
> | 0.94.0: complete client/server implementation (done)
> | 0.94.x: Various refinements/fixes for the cs stuff above.
> | 0.95.0: Remove all X11 dependant code - only client/server play supported
> |         at that time.

0.96.0 - New object structure methodology - about a dozen main object
types that remove contradictory/non intuitive meanings for different
objects.

> | 0.99.0: Start refining crossfire to be stable and balanced for 1.0 release.
> |         This means the only changes here would likely to be bufixes, and not
> |         new features.
> | 1.0: First true public release - fully stable, and very well balanced.
> |
> |  Note that there is a big gap between 95 and 99 and what features get
> | added in there.

 One gap filled.    It is possible that there could be a jump from soemthing
like 0.96.4 (ie, new object format with most bugs fixed and it working
properly) to 0.99.0.

 Does anyone see any other major features/changes that should be
earmarked?

> Not until Mark's current work with a complete overhaul of objects.

 Note that the overhaul of objects should not affect playbalance (will
likely affect stability however).  Part of 0.96.0 might be moving
away from the legacy objects, so to go with above:

0.97.x - migrate all legacy objects to new object format

 Legacy objects may be things like rings in maps that use exp to
adjust the speed.

> Basically there is a lot of devices (input and output) which have been
> haphazardally added to crossfire which needs to be consolidated in there
> workings.

 Hopefully the new object stuff should do that for many objects (spells
can become more generalized for example)

 The things I currently see on the TODO list which could adversely affect
maps/playbalance:

 Automatic map tiling (some maps would need to be redone to take advantage
of this)
 Smarter monster ai (tougher monsters shift playbalance)
 Better npc scripting language (would probably be desirable to update
many of the current npcs then)
 variable protections/immunities (will be in an early 0.96 release) -
refinement of this and not being able to get 100% immune certainly makes
some things more difficult.

 There is a long term question.

 Come 1.0 (stable balance version):  Does developement (Except for maps)
stop at that point then?  It seems to me that as new people play the game,
they will come up with new ideas (spells, monsters, traps, whatever), and the
game will continue to evolve.  So the stable 1.0 releas is likely to be
a one release thing  - 1.01 and so on, if they include new features, are
likely to bring us back to the current stage - playbalance may shift
some.  Hopefully, the greatest changes to playbalance have already been
made (skills and gods), so there won't be anything quite as drastic in
the future.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com